Thursday, February 18, 2016

Our Departure for Vieques

February 6th, 2016
Brad and I on the plane to San Juan

                       
Brad enjoying the in flight movies 

     We had been looking forward to this trip for FOREVER it seemed.  We haven't had a vacation without kids for quite a few years.  Life just got too busy!!!  The day was finally here and we had only gotten a few hours of sleep.  We left the house around 1:45 am to head to Indianapolis.  I live in Illinois so I am an hour behind Indiana.  We met our friends at a McDonald's on the way there and had a quick bite to eat then we were on our way.  I recommend Fastpark in Indy. It's only $7.27 per day, picks you up, gets your luggage for you, and gets you when you get back home. Once at the parking lot, we got into a shuttle and made our way to the airport.  I payed for our luggage at the kiosk and then got into the  line to get our boarding passes and give up our checked bags.  We had two. I am going to do a write up about how to decrease the amount of luggage eventually. I'm terrible about packing, so more on that later.   Going through TSA is always stressful to me.  I'm a worry wart that stresses over stupid shit, I guess.  We passed with flying colors :)  We had a layover in Charolette and the flight was only and hour and a half long.  We had a quick drink and a snack at the United Club at Charlotte.   If you have a little extra cash, I suggest getting a one day pass for the lounges. They have lots of nice seating, clean restrooms, wifi, FREE drinks (even alcohol), snacks and anything else you may need. It probably saves money in the long run. Now on to San Juan! This flight was well over three hours long. I was not impressed with American Airlines.  The flight was long (that can't be helped), the plane was hot, the windows were dirty, little flies were buzzing around, and they only came around once for a drink.  On the way home, our United Airline attendants came around at least four times with drinks of water and to check on us.  Much better service, if you ask me. The United planes were also much cleaner.  Once in San Juan, things got tricky.  We had to pick up our checked bags, make our way to the Cape Air counter, which was clear across the airport, then get new boarding passes and check our baggage.  Then it was back through TSA for another screening.  Finally, after we got through all of that, it was almost time to board.  We did manage to grab a quick drink and a sandwhich at Margaritaville, though!  Now comes the fun part....

      Cape Air has to have the weight of everything going on board.  Their planes are 6 seaters and it's very important for the information to be accurate.  They weigh the person and every piece of personal items that will be on the plane.  I was really getting nervous when it was close to boarding time.  The plane was so little yet so intimidating!  When we were boarding, the Pilot asked me to be Co-Pilot!  How could I turn this down?!?  After take off and my nerves settling, it was actually an awesome experience.  I got to really see the land from an amazing vantage point.  I could see the reefs, the rain moving in over San Juan, and the boats scooting across the ocean.  My nerves completely settled...until it was time to land...This got a little hairy.  I could feel palpitations and I was really scared shitless to be honest!  The Pilot landed the plane very smooth and easy, which was totally unexpected.  Overall, it was a neat experience.  

You have to get a selfie with the Pilot, of course! He was great!

      One good thing about Cape Air is that they do not charge for baggage.  This is a major plus!!! Cape air doesn't charge, so on the way home we paid zero for luggage! Ha!!
When we got inside the airport, it was time to grab our luggage and then go get the Jeep!  While Brad took care of the Jeep, I hung out at the bar and sipped on my first island margarita with Lorrie!  By the time we got to the condo it was time for bed and to freshen up for our first day on the island!!!

XOXO...Becky

P.S.  Our Condo...Here is the link to Beso Del Caribe
https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p259056

No comments:

Post a Comment