Wednesday, February 24, 2016

How to Pack for Vacation

Packing...The Worst Part of a Vacation

There are so many posts out there about how to pack.  I am a terrible packer.  I try so hard to only have the minimum to save on costs.  I still manage to pack way too much shit every time.  I can't help it.  I am a worrier that thinks I should have everything on hand in case of an apocalypse.  We always have a checked bag.  Brad takes a spear gun, a fishing pole and our canopy which have to be checked.  Below are some tips on how I packed for our vacation.

  • Roll your clothing to save on space.
  • Keep the majority of your clothes in your carry-on in case of lost baggage.
  • Pack cameras and anything of worth or fragile in your carry-on; I keep my GoPros, Nikon, and all paperwork in a carry-on.
  • Try to have a rolling carry-on that can expand for the way home, and carry a backpack as an extra item to keep yourself from checking a bag.
  • You only need a few pairs of shoes.  I am terrible at shoes.  I always have too many!
  • We try to only check one bag. 
  • Make sure that you have a small luggage scale.
  • Remember that your carry-on doesn't get weighed (as of now) at the typical airline.  Put anything heavy into that luggage.  The only time our carry-ons got weighed was for Cape Air because they have to weigh everything, including your body.
  • We pack our DIY canopy (read that blog) and it's a little heavy.  We have to check a bag for that and the snorkel gear.  We only pack this if we are going to a beach that is off the beaten path!  Obviously we wouldn't need it for an all inclusive resort. 
  • Always look at your amenities wherever you are traveling to.  Sometimes, there is no need to pack beach towels and extra clothes.  The place you are staying may have towels and a washer/dryer for you. 
  • Mark your luggage handle with something recognizable for the luggage claim area.
  • Put your name on your luggage with a telephone number and address.
  • Get a TSA approved lock so you know your stuff is secure and that TSA can still get inside to check if they need to.
  • I get travel soaps, lotions, shampoos, etc.  Then I leave any extras there so I can have the extra lbs for sand, shells, and souvenirs I bring home with me. 
  • I like to pack ziplock bags and some grocery bags with me.  If you are traveling to a beach, everything seems to get sandy. 
  • Brad says for the next trip, we are getting a dry bag for the beach.  I think this could come in handy as well. 
  • This past vacation, I used small travel bags from Ebags.  They seemed to work nicely to help organize clothing.
  • For the ladies; choose the same colors of clothing so you can mix and match outfits.
  • In your personal bag, pack chapstick, a heavy scarf (planes are freezing) and lotion.
  • Make sure you have all addresses of where you will be staying in your personal item.
  • Take a refillable water bottle on the plane with you.
  • Pack snacks for the beach in your checked luggage.  I'm glad I did this on the last vacation, because buying cheaper items at home saved us some money.  Some places you may choose to visit may not have some of the items you like or may be quite a bit more money. 

Please let me know your vacation tips!  I'm always looking for ways to improve out travel experience!

XOXO...Becky
   

No comments:

Post a Comment