Thursday, February 25, 2016

Navy Bunkers & Sugar Plantation Ruins in Vieques, Puerto Rico

Navy Bunkers

This is the outside of one of the dozens of bunkers.  The locals are slowly restoring these bunkers back to what they were.  They are putting local art up and they are making sure the doors are locked so vandalism does not happen.  These bunkers are huge in person.  The top is covered in dirt and growth so they are not seen from above. 

One of the caretakers that is spearheading the bunker clean up happened to be watering his freshly planted trees on the grounds the day we were exploring and let us check out the inside of one.  I imagined our Navy boys back in the day using this as a slop house, as storage, as a hospital, and as a sleeping area. 

Now, the horses keep the yard manageable. 


Sugar Plantation Ruins








There isn't much that I can say about any of these pictures.  I had no fu%&ing clue what in the hell any of the structures were.  It is in such a ruin and there are no guides (surely a local does tours, but we didn't check into this).  You basically wander through and try to imagine what the structures could have been.  It is a sight to behold.  The earth and the little creatures have taken over.  From what I understand, this was a working plantation from the 1830's until the Navy came in and kicked everyone to one side of the island in the 1940's.  There was even a train track that went through.  We think we saw some parts of the track but can't be certain. 



There was also a pineapple plantation close to town, and I snapped a few photos of it, which are below. It is located just around the corner from the Malecon.  Quite interesting and I should research this more.  We were in a hurry to get to lunch the day I took these, so I did not go inside the ruins.  I wish I would have!!!   




XOXO...Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment